HC Deb 13 February 1990 vol 167 c195W
Mrs. Fyfe

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland what arrangements are made to enable persons who have qualified as teachers outside Scotland to upgrade their teaching qualification to meet the requirements of the Scottish Education Department.

Mr. Lang

[holding answer 12 February 1990]: Any person who proposes to teach in an education authority school in Scotland must be registered with the General Teaching Council for Scotland. Where an applicant's qualifications do not meet the requirements for registration, the council is normally able to recommend a course of study at a college or university to bring those qualifications up to its required standards.