HC Deb 11 May 1989 vol 152 cc490-1W
Mr. Kirkwood

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security what plans he has to provide help and support for 18-year-olds who are leaving care.

Mr. Peter Lloyd

Eighteen-year-olds leaving care can qualify for income support and housing benefit, and for community charge rebates in Scotland, in the normal way. In addition, from July we propose to disregard totally any payments to young people who have been in care made by local authorities under section 27 and 29 of the Child Care Act 1980 (or sections 24 and 26 of the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968).