HC Deb 10 March 1989 vol 148 c17W
Mr. Michael

To ask the Secretary of State for Wales if he has any plans to update the regulations governing(a) local authority planning powers and (b) environmental health controls in respect of the powers of local authorities to control or remove firms which undertake anti-social or unneighbourly activities under existing consent in residential areas.

Mr. Grist

The Government are currently reviewing the legislation relating to statutory nuisance and offensive trades. We have no plans to change local authorities' planning powers to deal with activities which have or do not need planning permission. Under section 51 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971, local planning authorities may require the discontinuance of any use of land or its continuance subject to conditions if it appears expedient to the proper planning of their area.