HC Deb 21 July 1989 vol 157 cc386-7W
Mr. Allen

To ask the Secretary of State for Energy further to his reply of 17 July, if he will list the consents and permissions, with the granting authority in each case, necessary to build a nuclear power station.

Mr. Michael Spicer

In England and Wales, an electricity board needs to obtain the consent of my right hon. Friend under section 2 of the Electric Lighting Act 1909, as amended. When granting his consent under section 2 he may also direct that deemed planning permission be granted under section 40 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971.

Anyone else needs to obtain my right hon. Friend's consent under section 3 of the Energy Act 1983 and to obtain the necessary planning permission from the relevant planning authority.

In addition, a licence to install and operate a nuclear reactor must be obtained from the Health and Safety Executive under the Nuclear Installations Act 1965. Under the licence the agreement of the HSE must be obtained at all stages of construction, leading up to consent to commence operation.

Other consents and permissions, which also apply to other types of development, may also be required from the appropriate authorities.