HC Deb 20 July 1989 vol 157 c313W
Mr. Sillars

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland if he will show central Government financial support for child care services in each of the past five years; and if he will make a statement on Government policy.

Mr. Lang

The Scottish Office has provided support for expenditure on social work services by local authorities, including child care, through successive increases in rate support grant. It is for individual local authorities to decide on their spending priorities according to their own needs and available resources. In addition, we have made available grants under section 10 of the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968 to a wide range of voluntary organisations concerned with child care services.