HC Deb 11 July 1989 vol 156 c482W
Mr. Alton

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will list the establishments that have applied for consent to discharge sewage in excess of the levels set in the Control of Pollution Act 1974 following the privatisation of water authorities.

Mr. Howard

Consents for discharges from sewage treatment works by water authorities are issued by the Secretary of State under the Control of Pollution Act 1974. The Act itself does not set permissible levels of discharge. Lists of sewage treatment works for which applications have been made for time-limited discharge consents, pending completion of capital improvement schemes, have been placed in the Libraries of both Houses.