§ Mr. Campbell-Savours
To ask the Minister for the Arts if he will state the names of persons and their occupational posts who are to serve on the Library and Information Services Council for England working party on public library objectives, and the terms of reference of this working party.
§ Mr. Luce
The Library and Information Services Council (England) has appointed the following to serve on its working party on public library objectives:
- Mr. Royston Brown, Management Consultant (Chairman)
- Mr. A. R. Blick, Co-ordinator of Information Services, Beecham Group plc
- Mr. R. Bowden, Deputy Chief Executive, the Library Association
- Mr. W. A. Butler, Assistant to the Chief Inspector of Audit, The Audit Commission
- Mr. P. F. Cox, City Librarian, Westminster City Council
- Mr. A. Howson, Director of Libraries and Museums, Falkirk District Council (nominated by the Library and Information Services Council (Scotland))
- Mr. D. Leabeater, Senior Research and Development Officer, National Consumer Council
- Mr. D. Lindley, Head of Library Services, Books for Students
- Dr. R. A. McKee, Chief Librarian and Arts Officer, Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council
- Mr. D. Welch, Chief Librarian, South Eastern Education and Library Board, County Down (nominated by the Library and Information Services Council (Northern Ireland))
- Mr. W. G. Williams, County Library and Museums Officer, Clwyd County Council (nominated by the Library and Information Services Council (Wales))
The terms of reference are: to examine the present nature of current public library objectives (including unpublished material), and to develop a model set of objectives from which any library authority might select those appropriate to its own circumstances, and which could provide a starting point for the development of exclusive local objectives. The model set of objectives should preferably be in the form of a manual for publication, and the objectives should be capable of performance measurement.
To suggest ways of testing/developing/promoting the model set of objectives.