HC Deb 07 July 1989 vol 156 cc308-9W
Mr. Cox

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what is the policy of his Department towards allowing the wives and children of the Chinese students now studying in the United Kingdom to be granted a visa to join them during their studies; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Renton

Under the immigration rules the wife and children under 18 of a student should be given leave to enter for the period of his authorised stay if they can be maintained and accommodated without recourse to public funds. Applications should be made overseas for prior entry clearance, and each case will be looked at in the light of its particular circumstances.

Mr. Madden

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will make it his policy to grant to Chinese students who obtain extension of stay in the United Kingdom temporary work permits to enable them to support themselves and any dependants.

Mr. Renton

I refer the hon. Member to the reply I gave on 26 June to the question from the hon. Member for Tooting (Mr. Cox) at column324.