HC Deb 03 July 1989 vol 156 c66W
Mr. Corbett

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what alternative method to the rating valuation list he proposes to use after the introduction of the poll tax in England and Wales in April 1990 to calculate home loss payments.

Mr. Gummer

[holding answer 30 June 1989]: There are no plans to introduce a poll tax but instead a charge for the services provided locally.

In paragraph 8 of the consultation paper on land compensation and compulsory purchase legislation which my Department issued on 7 March 1989, we have proposed provision for the Secretary of State to prescribe a single flat rate of home loss payable to all qualifying claimants at broadly the present level. However, the paper invited comments on whether, in the light of the general operation of the land compensation code, some further provision would be appropriate in the case of owner-occupiers who are displaced as a result of compulsory purchase. We are currently studying the responses of the consultation papers, a copy of which I am sending to the hon. Member.