§ Mr. Edward Leigh
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport if he will state which railway lines are proposed to be closed in the current year, giving the reasons for any such closures.
§ Mr. Portillo
British Rail's railway closure proposals currently outstanding are listed. In addition, British Rail has announced that it intends formally to propose the withdrawal of passenger services between Gainsborough and Barnetby. British Rail has taken the view that it can no longer justify maintaining these rail services. My right hon. Friend will decide each case on its merits.
- Settle to Carlisle and Blackburn to Hellifield
- Henley-in-Arden to Bearley junction
- Ashburys West junction to Phillips Park No. 1 junction
- Wortley curve (Leeds)
- Melton Halt (Humberside)
- Methley junction to Altofts junction
- Vale of Rheidol railway
- Mexborough East junction to Aldwarke junction
- North Pole junction to Old Oak Common East junction
§ Mr. Portillo
The railway lines and stations closed during each year from 1984 to 1988 are listed. The particular reasons given by my right hon. Friend and his predecessors for consenting to these closures were set out in formal decision letters. But, generally speaking, consent is given where it is considered that hardship and other social and economic effects are not sufficient to outweigh the financial and operational advantages of closure.
1984 Upton by Chester station
- South Bank station
1985 Eltham Park station
- New Hadley station
- Tottenham Hale to Stratford (including Lea Bridge station)
- Birchenden junction to Grove (including Tunbridge Wells West and Groombridge stations)
- Gogarth and Abertafol halts
- Errol station
1986 Tiverton Junction station
- Broad Street station to Dalston Junction station (inclusive)
- Cefn-Onn station
- Balloch Central to Balloch Pier (including Balloch Pier station)
1987 Royton station
- Brindle Heath junction to Agecroft junction
- Meadowbank station
- Goose hill junction to Wath Road junction and Oakenshaw junction to Oakenshaw South junction Dryclough junction to Greetland junction; Milner Royd junction to Health Lodge junction; Bradley Wood junction to Bradley junction; Horbury Station junction to Crigglestone junction and Wakefield Kirkgate West junction to Hare Park junction.
1988 Burton Lane junction to Rowntree Halt (including Rowntree Halt) Rotherham Masborough station.