HC Deb 19 January 1989 vol 145 c258W
Mr. Kirkwood

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security (1) what guidance is issued to local offices on payment of fares to a parent who is seeking to make an access visit to his or her child;

(2) whether financial help is available to a mother who has to travel long distances for an access visit to her child in order to comply with a custody order;

(3) what help is available to parents seeking help with transport costs in order to pay access visits to their children.

Mr. Peter Lloyd

A community care grant from the social fund may be awarded to a parent receiving income support to cover travelling costs to visit a child who is in the care of the other parent pending a custody decision. Once custody has been decided help can not be given.

Guidance and directions for the award of such payments appear in the "Social Fund Manual". A copy is in the Library.