§ Mr. Galbraith
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if he will list those international organisations on which his Department is represented and the total cost of those commitments.
§ Mr. Archie Hamilton
[holding answer 8 February 1989]The Ministry of Defence is represented at numerous committees meetings under the auspicies of NATO, the independent European programme group. the Eurogroup and the Western European Union. In 1987–88 the MOD paid a contribution of £57,301,000 to the NATO military budget, and a net contribution of £113,640,000 to the NATO infrastructure budget.
Other international organisations to which the MOD pays subscriptions or grants are:
In 1987–88 the cost of subscriptions and grants to these organisations was approximately £10,057,000.
- European Network of Ocean Stations
- FINABEL Secretariat, Brussels
- European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites
- International Hydrographic Organisation
- World Meteorological Organisation
- European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts
- North Atlantic Ocean Stations Agreement
- World Weather Watch Stations Overseas
- International Institute for Scientific Studies
- Commonwealth Advisory Aeronautical Research Council
- International Institute for Strategic Studies
- Ergonomics Society
- British Commonwealth Ex-Servicemen's League
- Inter Allied Confederation of Reserve Officers