HC Deb 08 February 1989 vol 146 c692W
Mr. Tom Clarke

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Science if he will make it his policy to give the parents of handicapped children the same rights as those of able-bodied children to choose to which schools they wish to send their children.

Mr. Butcher

Parents of handicapped children without statements of special educational needs under the Education Act 1981 already have the same choice of school rights as other parents. For those children with statements, local education authorities are required to seek medical, educational and psychological advice, and any other advice considered necessary, including parental views. My right hon. Friend believes that the most suitable school placements for children with statements should continue to be based on that advice.