HC Deb 19 December 1989 vol 164 cc197-8W
Mr. Atkinson

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport if he has any plans to make highway authorities liable to compensate owners of businesses for loss of trade and profit caused through the loss of passing trade associated with highway schemes; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Atkins

Compensation is payable where land is acquired for highway schemes. Claimants are entitled to the market value of their interest in the land acquired, disregarding any increase or decrease in its value to the scheme. They are also entitled to any other reasonable loss for disturbance, which could include loss of trade caused by the acquisition of all or part of a property. Compensation is also payable where a highway authority stops up a private means of access to the highway.

However, where a business is affected by a highway scheme but no land is taken or access stopped up, I am advised that there is no liability on the highway authority to compensate for any loss of trade, assuming that the

For 1990–91 the amount incorporated will be £2.773 million of credit approvals and £8.320 million of central Government grants; totalling £11.093 million.

In addition, much trunk road spending and a substantial amount of local road spending supported by transport supplementary grant (TSG), is designed to assist inner-city areas. In 1990–91 over 100 major schemes accepted for TSG will benefit inner-city areas.

Since "Action for Cities" was launched in 1988 total expenditure benefiting inner cities on the trunk roads and local roads programmes is estimated at:

Year £ million
1988–89 250
1989–90 300
1990–91 300

The Department is also supporting expenditure on the Manchester Metrolink (expected to cost £110 million) and, from 1990–91, will be spending £1 billion on the Jubilee line extension. Both schemes are designed to improve public transport in urban areas.