§ Dr. David Clark
To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food which voluntary organisations received grants from his Department for each year since 1986; and for what purposes these were given.
§ Mr. Gummer
Since 1986 the following voluntary organisations have received grants from my Department for the purposes shown:
- (i) National Proficiency Tests Council—to enable the Council to devise, promote and maintain standards of proficiency tests in agriculture and horticulture in England and Wales.
- (ii) The National Federation of Young Farmers' Clubs—to help towards the cost of the Federation's activities in agricultural education.
- (iii) Farming and Wildlife Trust—to make provision for the conservation and enhancement of the natural beauty of the countryside.
- (iv) Society for the Responsible Use of Resources in Agriculture and on the Land (RURAL)—to promote exchanges of views through the organisation of conferences in all aspects of rural land use and the use of resources in agriculture.
- (v) The Countryside Commission for "Operation Silvanus"—to promote the better management of existing woodlands on farms.
- (vi) British Trout Association—to promote exports of United Kingdom farmed trout products to targeted third countries.