HC Deb 18 December 1989 vol 164 cc91-2W
Mr. Dobson

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment whether he will make home improvement grants claimable by private sector tenants without a repairing lease.

Mr. Howard

No. Where a tenant is not required by the terms of his lease to undertake works of repair or improvement the responsibility will rest with the landlord. It is therefore appropriate for the landlord to apply for grant and for any payment to be based on an assessment of his resources.