HC Deb 05 December 1989 vol 163 c120W
Mr. Gerald Bowden

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what guidance he intends to give to local authorities on the control of noise pollution; and whether he will make a statement.

Mr. Chris Patten

My Department is currently consulting local authorities about the adequacy of their powers to control noise nuisance under the Control Pollution Act 1974, with particular reference to acid house and similar parties. We have already received helpful responses from the Association of District Councils, the Association of Metropolitan Authorities and the London Boroughs Association. Together with other Government Departments, we shall take whatever action is necessary to strengthen the law in relation to noise nuisance generally. We will also give clear guidance to local authorities about exercising their powers.

Forward to