§ Mr. Baldry
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what pay awards in the public sector he has approved in the current year.
§ Mr. Chris Patten
The pay of chairmen and board members of non-departmental public bodies and nationalised industries sponsored by my Department and of the staff of such controlled non-departmental public bodies requires my approval.
I have approved pay increases for the chairmen and board members of non-departmental public bodies in line with the Government's decisions on the 28th report of the Top Salaries Review Body. I have also approved pay increases for the chairman and board members of the British Waterways Board and for the chairmen and the board members sponsored by my Department of the former English regional water authorities.
In practice the pay of most of the staff of sponsored NDPBs is linked to public sector pay negotiated nationally. The application of national settlements to staff of the bodies in the following lists has been approved as they arose during the year. In addition I have approved pay increases for the junior staff of new town development corporations (negotiated in the Whitley Council for new town staff in line with the local authority 'white collar' settlement), for the wardens and deerstalker of the Nature Conservancy Council and a new package of pay and terms and conditions of service for the industrial staff of the Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission, constrained by the overall increase in the pay bill for similar staff in the Civil Service.
Civil Service Pay Links
- British Board of Agrement
- Countryside Commission
- Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission for England (English Heritage)—(non-industrial staff)
- Housing Corporation (Senior Staff)
- National Heritage Memorial Fund
- Nature Conservancy Council (except as noted above)
- New Town Development Corporations (Senior Staff)
- Rent Officers
- Royal Armouries
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England)
- Royal Fine Art Commission
- Rural Development Commission
- Sports Council (non-industrial staff)
Local Government Pay Links
- Merseyside Development Corporation
- Sports Council (industrial staff)
- New Town Development Corporations (manual and craft workers)
- Valuation & Community Charge Tribunals
New Town Pay Links
- Housing Corporation (junior staff)
As regards the urban development corporations, other than the Merseyside Development Corporation, and the National Rivers Authority, I have approved the pay levels of senior staff and the overall increases in the pay bill for the rest of the staff by reference to the levels of public sector settlements generally.