HC Deb 12 April 1989 vol 150 c523W
Mr. Ashley

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Science if his Department has conducted any research into(a)the cause and (b) the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus.

Mr. Jackson

The Medical Research Council, which receives its grant-in-aid from this Department, is the main agency through which the Government support medical research. It is funding research into the cause of systemic lupus erythematosus at its clinical research centre and at the clinical science laboratory of Guy's medical school. Other relevant research may also be supported by university medical schools from their general funding.