§ Dr. Twinn
To ask the Secretary of State for Health when the code of practice required under section 118 of the Mental Health Act 1983 will be laid before the House.
§ Mr. Freeman
There has been extensive consultation on two drafts of the code. I have established a small working group of people with wide experience of mental health matters to consider the comments received and produce a final draft, which we expect to lay before the House this autumn. The composition of the working group is as follows:
- Mr. A. J. Collier, CB—formerly deputy secretary, Department of Health and Social Security;
- Mr. M. Brown—Director of nursing (mental health) west Lambeth health authority;
- Mrs. J. Miles—General manager, priority care services unit, Aylesbury Vale health authority;
- Professor E. Murphy—Consultant psychiatrist and deputy chairman, mental health act commission;
- Mr. N. Welch—Principal social worker, Oxfordshire county council social services department;
- Mr. W. Bingley—Legal director of MIND, on secondment to the Department of Health while acting as secretary;
- Mrs. M. Houston—Department of Health.