HC Deb 04 April 1989 vol 150 c173W
Mr. Lord

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security what measures he is taking to reduce the gap between Government funds provided for elderly residents of nursing homes and the cost of their accommodation.

Mr. Peter Lloyd

[holding answer 21 March 1989]: Under income support, payments can be made to people in nursing homes to help them meet the fees, subject to maximum limits.

From 10 April the limits are being increased. Elderly people in nursing homes will be able to claim up to £190 per week, or up to £213 in London, plus a personal expenses allowance of £10.05.

Back to