§ Mr. Kenneth Clarke
Sixty-five mergers have been referred to the Monopolies and Mergers Commission over the period 1978–79 to 1987–88. This excludes newspaper mergers and monopoly and competitive practice references. The 65 merger references are listed in chronological order.
Press notices issued at the time of the reference give details of the reason for reference. In the majority of cases the reason for reference was competition.
- Lonrho/Suits/House of Fraser
- Hepworth Ceramic/H & R Johnson Richards Tiles
- General Electric Company/Avery's
- FMC/Merck & Co. Inc./Alginate Inds. Ltd.
- Hiram Walker-Gooderham & Worts/Highland Distilleries Co. Ltd.
- Blue Circle Inds. Ltd./Armitage Shanks Ltd.
- S & W Berisford/British Sugar Corp.
- Europcar/Godfrey Davis
- Grand Metropolitan Hotels/Coral Leisure Group
- Lonrho/House of Fraser
- European Ferries/Sealink
- Hover Lloyd/BR Hovercraft
- Standard Chartered Bank/Royal Bank of Scotland
- Argyll Foods/Linfood Holdings
- Rowntree Maclntosh/Huntley and Palmer
- Nabisco Brands/Huntley and Palmer
- ICI/Arthur Holden
- GUS/Empire Stores
- Chartered Consolidated/Anderson Stratchelyde
- Prosper de Mulder/Midland Cattle Products (Thomas Borthwick and Sons)
- Linfood/Fitch Lovell
- Abele/Illingworth Morris
- Redland/Ibstock Johnson
- Ibstock Johnson/London Brick Co.
- Knoll International/Sothebys
- Hepworth Ceramic/Steetley
- Grand Metropolitan/Pleasurama/Trident
- P and O/Trafalgar
- Lonhro/House of Fraser
- Scottish and Newcastle Breweries/Camerons
- Dee/Booker McConnell
- Scottish and Newcastle/Matthew Brown
- British Telecom/Mitel
- McCorquodale plc/Richard Clay plc
- Elders IXL/Allied Lyons
- Imperial/United Biscuits
- Cope Allman/Firth Cleveland Steel Strip
- McCorquodale/Norton Opax
- Tate and Lyle/S and W Berisford
- Hillsdown/S and W Berisford
- Ferruzzi/S and W Berisford
- London International/Wedgewood
- P and O/European Ferries
- Trusthouse Forte/assets of Hanson Trust
- Strong and Fisher/Garnar Booth
- Gulf Resources/IC Gas
- Co-op/House of Fraser Funerals
- Swedish Match/assets of Allegheny International
- MAI/London and Continental Advertising Holdings
- BA/British Caledonian
- Book Club Associates/Leisure Circle
- Mitek Industries/Gang Nail