HC Deb 16 May 1988 vol 133 c297W
Mr. Lofthouse

To ask the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster how many United Kingdom companies include in their articles of association a provision whereby the company board can refuse to register an entry in the share register.

Mr. Kenneth Clarke

[holding answer 13 May 1988]: This information is not available. It is for companies themselves to decide whether to adopt standard articles or alternatively to draw up their own. The standard articles are prescribed by regulation and for the majority of companies these are known as "Table A". Prior to 1981, table A included such a provision for private companies. The current table A does not. Whatever articles are adoped they can be examined by looking at the record of the individual company maintained by the Registrar of Companies, which is available for public inspection in Cardiff or London.