HC Deb 10 May 1988 vol 133 c94W
Mr. Wilson

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland (1) what will be the obligations of members of the armed forces who live away from home on military service, under poll tax regulations;

(2) what will be the obligations of merchant seamen who spend a majority of the year in foreign waters, under poll tax regulations.

Mr. Lang

All adults who are aged 18 or over and who have their sole or main residence in a local authority's area will be liable to pay the personal community charge The question of whether a person is solely or mainly resident in the area of a local authority will be a matter of fact in relation to the particular circumstances of each case.

My right hon. and learned Friend is considering, in consultation with my right horn. Friend the Secretary of State for Defence, the detailed application of the community charge proposals to members of the armed forces.

Forward to