§ Mr. Maclennan
To ask the Secretary of State for Employment what are the terms of reference, and when is publication expected, of the study of the funding of vocational education and training being undertaken by the Manpower Services Commission.
§ Mr. Nicholls
The terms of reference of MSC's study of the funding of vocational education and training are:
- (a) to describe fully current mechanisms for the financing of vocational education and training in Great Britain (excluding initial continuous full-time schooling) and of individuals (employed and unemployed) undertaking vocational education and training;
- (b) to investigate, describe and analyse the effects and effectiveness of those mechanisms; and
- (c) to make recommendations on ways in which the mechanisms and means for the financing of vocational education and training could be improved so as to achieve a system which
- —brings to bear sufficient resources for achievement of the New Training Initiative objectives and the proper vocational education and training of all the country's workforce;
- —is effective and efficient in the use of resources;
- —is responsive to changing needs; and
- —meets labour market requirements.
The study is to be informed by an extensive programme of original research which will report to MSC during the spring and early summer. It is anticipated that the final report will be published later in 1988.