HC Deb 07 March 1988 vol 129 c75W
Mr. Heddle

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what plans he has to encourage further investment in inner city revival.

Mr. Ridley

A new streamlined grant, city grant, will replace urban development grant and urban regeneration grant from 2 May. It will also incorporate private sector derelict land grant within the 57 urban priority areas.

City grant will be paid directly by my Department and will have simplified procedures aimed at giving quicker decisions. It will encourage developers to invest in projects providing jobs and homes in inner areas.

A consultation document inviting views on aspects of city grant is being issued today. I am placing copies in the Library.

Forward to