HC Deb 07 March 1988 vol 129 c49W
Mr. Jack

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Services if he will introduce a Bill to enable local authorities to charge a fee to private residents for the connection of their private alarms to local authorities control centres; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Portillo

No. Local social services authorities already have powers to charge for the connection of private alarms to their control centres. The powers of housing authorities to charge for connection in these circumstances are a matter for my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for the Environment.