HC Deb 28 June 1988 vol 136 cc182-3W
Mr. Nicholas Brown

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer if he will give for each of the top(a) 1 percent., (b) 5 per cent., (c) 10 per cent. and (d) the remaining 90 percent. of taxpayers (i) the total amount of income before tax and (ii) the total amount of income after tax for each of the years 1978–79 to 1987–88.

Mr. Norman Lamont

[pursuant to his reply, 12 April 1988, c. 66]: I regret that the tables provided with the answer I gave to the hon. Member on 12 April 1988 at columns 65–68 contained factual errors. The correct figures are in the following tables.

Estimates are given in the tables for 1978–79 and 1983–84 to 1987–88. Information for other years could be provided only at disproportionate cost. All estimates are based on information reported to tax offices and collected through the annual surveys of personal incomes. For years before 1985–86, estimates exclude employees' contributions to occupational pension schemes and some investment income on which tax is deducted at source.

introduction of a workfare scheme, along the lines of those introduced in the United States of America; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Lee

My right hon. Friend the Secretary of State has no plans to introduce a workfare scheme. With the continuing fall in unemployment and some 70,000 unfilled jobs vacancies in the economy, the priority must be to ensure that unemployed people have the appropriate skills to take up the jobs which are available to them.

Back to