HC Deb 20 June 1988 vol 135 cc376-7W
Mr. Stern

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he intends to propose any changes in the method of valuation of ex-police houses for the purpose of their sale to serving officers.

Mr. Douglas Hogg

It is for police authorities to arrange for the valuation of surplus police houses which they propose to offer for sale. They are authorised by the general consents issued by the Secretary of State for the Environment in 1981 to sell such houses to serving police officers on the same terms and at the same rates of discount as those offered by housing authorities to council tenants. It is for individual police authorities to decide whether a discount should be offered and, if so, what the rates of discount should he, subject to the maximum rates of discount set by the general consents.