§ Mr. Cousins
To ask the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster what sums were spent by English Estates North on new factory building in the financial years 1986–87 and 1987–88; what sum is projected for 1988–89; and how many square metres of additional factory space become available in each year.
§ Mr. Atkins
Expenditure by English Estates on behalf of the Department of Trade and Industry and the Rural Development Commission in the north-east and Cumbria in the last two financial years was as follows:
- Expenditure £19.1 million
- Floorspace completed 19,384 square metres
- Expenditure £25.0 million
- Floorspace completed 75,335 square metres
Estimated figures for 1988–89 are as follows:
- Expenditure £18.0 million
- Floorspace completed 20,000 square metres
The bulk of expenditure for a particular project often falls in a different year from the one in which the project is completed. There is no direct correlation therefore, between the level of expenditure and the volume of floor space completed in a financial year.