HC Deb 13 June 1988 vol 135 cc58-9W
Mr. Barry Jones

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Services what financial provision he has made to assist single parents, unable to work because of the needs of their handicapped children, to supplement their income support, other than the £6.15 additional disabled child premium; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Portillo

The income support of a single parent with a disabled child would normally include, in addition to the disabled child premium, an age-related personal allowance for the claimant and each child, the lone parent premium (of £3.70) and the family premium (of £6.15). In addition, attendance allowance, mobility allowance as well as invalid care allowance might be payable. A person on income support would receive maximum housing benefit, free prescriptions, dental treatment, free school meals and other benefits in kind.