HC Deb 27 July 1988 vol 138 c341W
Mr. Ashley

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment (1) if he will make it his policy that a local disability adviser is appointed to each urban development corporation; and if he will make a statement;

(2) if he will outline the measures that are being taken to ensure that urban development corporations are made aware of the access needs of disabled people in the revitalisation of the inner cities; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Trippier

As development control authorities, urban development corporations receive planning circulars and advice. This includes DOE circular 10/82 which draws attention to the Disabled Persons Act 1981 and reminds authorities of the importance of bearing in mind the needs of disabled people. As employers, the corporations receive and are expected to follow the Government's own code of practice "Employment of disabled people".