§ Lord McCluskey
asked Her Majesty's Government:
- (i) What is the maximum sum payable as DHSS board and lodging benefit to, or in respect of, mentally ill people who are living in supported accommodation, otherwise known as residential care homes;
- (ii) when a maximum sum was first set in respect of such benefit, and what that sum was then; and
- (iii) what has been the change in the retail price index between the date when the maximum sum was first set and the latest date of the RPI.
§ Lord Skelmersdale
The information is as follows:
- The current maximum weekly amount payable under income support for this group of residents of independent residential care homes is £130 outside Greater London, and £.147.50 in homes in Greater London.
- (ii) This limit was first set with effect from 29th April 1985, and was £120 at that time. It applied to homes both in and outside Greater London.
- (iii) The change in the retail price index between when the limit was first set and the most recent general uprating of benefits is 11.21 per cent.