HL Deb 21 July 1988 vol 499 c1580WA
The Countess of Mar

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What is their policy for the payment of social security benefits to the residents of local authority Part III accommodation for the elderly who need financial support when the local authority sells or leases the accommodation to a private organisation.

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of Health and Social Security (Lord Skelmersdale)

In these circumstances, provided the accommodation is, where necessary, registered under the Registered Homes Act 1984 or the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968, the residents who meet the usual qualifying conditions would be eligible for help towards their fees through income support up to the residential care home limits.