HC Deb 14 January 1988 vol 125 c400W
Mrs. Beckett

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Services what rights of appeal are available to a widow whose pension is withdrawn on the grounds that she is living with a man as his wife(a) if the pension is an ordinary widow's pension and (b) if it is a war widow's pension.

Mr. Portillo

Decisions on entitlement to national insurance widows' benefits, supplementary benefit or family income supplement, including decisions as to whether a widow is living with a man as his wife, are made by independent adjudication officers. There is a right of appeal against decisions of adjudication officers to an independent social security appeal tribunal. There is also a right of appeal on a point of law against a decision of a social security appeal tribunal to a social security comissioner.

There is no right of appeal open to a widow in receipt of a war widow's pension when the Secretary of State decides that the pension should be withdrawn because she is living with a man as his wife. Instead, she can ask the Secretary of State to review the decision and ask her local war pensions committee to make representations on her behalf.

Forward to