HC Deb 22 December 1988 vol 144 c432W
Mr. Ron Davies

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment whether planning permission is necessary before the erection of mink farms and before the issuing of licences under the Mink Keeping Order 1987.

Mr. Chope

Since the Town and Country Planning General Development Order 1988 came into force on 5 December planning permission has been necessary for the erection of new livestock units, including mink farms, within 400m of most residential and other buildings. Applications for planning permission should be made to local planning authorities. The issuing and renewal of licences needed under the Mink Keeping Order 1987 is a separate matter, for which the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and the Welsh Office Agriculture Department are responsible.