HC Deb 08 December 1988 vol 143 cc322-4W
Mr. Allen

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security if he will list the forms which have to be filled in for each benefit administered by his Department; and how many pages and how many questions are found in each.

Mr. Peter Lloyd

A list of the principal claim forms for benefits administered by the Department is as follows. The other information requested is not readily available and could be supplied only at disproportionate cost.

Main Benefit Form No. Details
Income support B1 Income support for people who are unemployed
B1(Student) Income Support for Students who are unemployed (during long vacations)
B71D Income Support for people involved in Trade Disputes
SP1 Income Support for people who are over retirement age
A1 Income Support—for people who are sick or looking after children or sick or elderly relatives
Social Fund SF100 Maternity Payment—postal claim form
Main Benefit Form No. Details
SF200 Funeral Payment—postal claim form
SF300 Application for Budgeting Loan or Community Care Grant
SF400 Crisis Loan application form
Widows Benefit BW1 Application for Widows Pension, Widows Payment and/or Widowed Mothers Allowance
Retirement Pensions BR1 Application for Retirement Pension
Child Benefits CH2 Initial Claim for Child Benefit including One Parent Benefit if appropriate
CH12 Claim for Child Benefit for additional children
BG1 Claim for Guardians Allowance if a person takes an orphaned child into the family
Incapacity Benefits SC1 Claim for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Sickness Benefit self certificated sickness
SSP1(E) Claim for Sickness or Invalidity Benefit for people who do not qualify for SSP from work
SP1(T) Claim for Sickness or Invalidity Benefit when SSP from work runs out
SDA1 part of leaflet NI252 Claim for Severe Disablement Allowance (for people below retirement age who cannot work because of illness or disablement)
Maternity pay MA1 Claim for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) from work or Maternity Allowance
Family Credit FC1 Family Credit—postal claim form
Agency Benefits AG1 Claim for help with National Health Service charges and travelling expenses
Attendance Allowance NI251 Attendance Allowance
NI212 Invalid Care Allowance—for people looking after someone who has Attendance Allowance
Injury and Disability BI104 Constant Attendance Allowance for people who need constant attention because of the effects of an industrial accident or disease
BI103 Reduced Earnings Allowance for people who cannot return to their former occupation because of the effects of an industrial accident or disease
BI100A IIDB for Industrial Accidents
BI100(OA) IIDB for Occupational Asthma
BI100B IIDB for a Prescribed Industrial Disease
BI100C Claim for further award of Unemployability Supplement—the initial award does not need a separate claim form
BI100(OD) IIDB for Occupational Deafness
BI100P IIDB for Pneumoconiosis (certain cases only)
BI100Pn IIDB for Pneumoconiosis, Byssinosis, Silicosis and Asbestosis
Main Benefit Form No. Details
WS1 Claim for Workmens
Compensation Supplement—for people who contracted industrial diseases before 5 July 1948
PNIA Pneumoconiosis, Byssinosis and Miscellaneous Disease Benefit for people who contracted the relevant diseases as a result of employment before 5 July 1948
NI225 Claim for Mobility Allowance