HC Deb 30 November 1987 vol 123 cc418-9W
Mr. David Howell

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment whether he will now review the arrangements under which compensation payments, due when consent is refused by his Department in respect of listed buildings, are required to be paid by the relevant local authority.

Mr. Waldegrave

The only provision for compensation when listed building consent is refused is in section 171 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971 under which compensation may be payable when consent is refused for works which do not require planning permission or which are permitted under a development order. The consultation paper on planning compensation, which my Department issued in April 1986, included a proposal to repeal section 171. We will announce our conclusions following the consultation in due course.