HC Deb 27 March 1987 vol 113 cc300-1W
Mrs. Renée Short

asked the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry (1) if he will introduce legislation to prohibit unlicensed traders from selling fireworks and to ensure that unlicensed retailers are not supplied with fireworks by wholesalers;

(2) if he has any plans to improve the level of enforcement of the Fireworks Safety Regulations 1986: (a) relating to the release of information about holders of explosives licences from the fire authority and (b) in detecting unlicensed traders during the period when fireworks are sold to the public.

Mr. Howard

[pursuant to his reply, 26 March 1987, c. 242]: Under the Explosives Act 1875 a licence is required to store fireworks. This has the effect of requiring all retailers who sell fireworks to be licensed. Local authorities are required under the same Act to keep lists of retailers holding licences, which are available for inspection. They should also monitor retail outlets during the fireworks season.

I do not consider it necessary at present to introduce further legislation as unlicensed traders can already be prosecuted under the Explosives Act 1875.

The Fireworks (Safety) Regulations 1986 were introduced to deter shopkeepers from selling fireworks to the under-16s. They do not refer to the question of explosive licences.

Forward to