§ Mr. Caborn
asked the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry how many applications have been made by member states under article 93(2) of the treaty of Rome seeking a decision from the Council of Ministers that an aid which that state is granting, or intends to grant, shall be considered to be compatible with the Common Market in derogation from the provisions of article 92 of the treaty, by year from 1983 and in 1987 to date; and if he will list them in the Official Report, together with the Councils decision in each case
§ Mr. Alan Clark
No information is available on applications made by Member states to the Council under article 93(2) but the European Commission has provided the following list of state aids authorised by the Council from 1983 to 1986:
- (1) 86/648/EEC: Council Decision of 16 December 1986, on the grant of a national aid in the form of a payment on account of the premium for ewes in the sheepmeat sector in France.
- Official Journal No. L382 of 31 12.86 page 0003
(2) 86/603/EEC: Council Decision of 8 December 1986, on the granting of national aid in the wine sector in Italy following the serious crisis affecting that sector as a result of the `methanol-adulterated wine' affair.
- Official Journal No. L352 of 13.12.86 page 0043
(3) 86/196/EEC: Council Decision of 23 May 1986, on the granting by certain Member States of an aid for the shortterm private storage of table wine and must.
- Official Journal No. L139 of 24.09.86 page 0049
(4) 85/272/EEC: Council Decision of 23 May 1985, on the granting of aid for the short-term private storage of table wine and must in Greece, France and Italy.
- Official Journal No. 151 of 10.05.85 page 0049
(5) 85/213/EEC: Council Decision of 26 March 1985, on the granting of aid for the distillation of wines obtained from table grapes in Sicily.
- Official Journal No. L096 of 03.04.85 page 0034
(6) 84/361/EEC: Council Decision of 30 June 1984, concerning an aid granted to farmers in the Federal Republic of Germany.
- Official Journal No. L185 of 12,07.84 page 0041
(7) 84/258/EEC: Council Decision of 7 May 1984, on the granting of aid for the short-term private storage of table wine and must in Greece.
- Official Journal No. L124 of 11.05.84 page 0044
(8) 84/230/EEC: Council Decision of 27 April 1984, on the granting of aid for the short-term private storage of table wine and must in France and Italy.
- Official Journal No. L115 of 01.05.84 page 0083
In 1987 the Council approved on 16 March an application from France to grant aid in the form of a contribution to the social security payments of certain milk producers. This decision has not yet been published in the Official Journal.