asked the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what was Her Majesty's Government's financial contribution to UNICEF in each year since 1979 both at 1987 and outturn prices.
§ Mr. Chris Patten
The information at outturn prices and 1986 constant prices is as follows:
as at 1 July 1987, follows. It illustrates the wide range of research currently funded from ODA research and development funds.
We have increased our research budget in 1987–88 by about 20 per cent. for renewable natural resources. The ODA is currently assessing in some detail United Kingdom institute capability to assist developing countries.
Additionally, there are a number of linkages between agricultural institutions in developing countries and those in the United Kingdom which are funded by the ODA either by core fund contributions to the United Kingdom institutions or by the commissioning of work using bilateral funds.
- (a) England
- Research Project and Administering Body
- Downy Mildew on Millet.—University of Reading.
- Tamsat (Tropical Agricultural Meteorology using Satellite and Other Data).—University of Reading.
- Varietal Differences in Root Systems in Relation to Crop Improvement in Dryland Areas.—University of Reading. Studies on Rice Protoplasts for Plant Genetic Manipulations. —University of Nottingham.
- Study of Virus of Vegetatively Propagated Tropical Food Crops and Production of Virus-Free Planting Material. — Institute of Horticultural Research (formerly Glasshouse Crops Research Inst.).
- Adaptation of Lentils, Faba Beans and Barley to different Environments and Cropping Seasons. — University of Reading.
- Ergot in Millet.—Imperial College, London.
- Wide Crosses Maize Sorghum. —Plant Breeding institute, Cambridge.
- Wheat Wide Crossing Techniques for Wheat and Related Species.—Plant Breeding Institute, Cambridge.
- Rice Nematodes. — Commonwealth Institute of Parasitology.
- Microclimatology of Millet and Groundnut.—University of Nottingham.
- Research to Increase Salinity Resistance in Rice. —University of Sussex.
- Investigation of Dwarfing Genes. — Plant Breeding Institute, Cambridge.
- Biology and Distribution of American Pathotypes/Races of Halo-blight on Phaseolous Vulgaris. —National Vegetable Research Station.
- In-breeding and Potato Seed Production.— University of Birmingham.
- Exploitation of Natural Insect Resistance in Phaseolus Vulgaris.—University of Durham.
- Barley Yellow Dwarf Virus. — Rothamsted Experimental Station.
- Development of Spraying Systems to Integrate Chemical with Biological Control on Tropical Food Crops. — Imperial College.
- Project to Produce a Self-Supporting Wing Bean Plant.—Southampton University.
- Residual Effects of Phosphate Fertilisers.— University of Reading.
- Evaluation of Eradication as a Disease Control Measure with Particular Reference to Cocoa Swollen Shoot Virus. —Institute of Horticultural Research (East Mailing).
- Characterisation of Resistance and Tolerance Mechanisms against the Parasitic Angiosperm Striga Hermonthica. —University College, London.
- Responses of Tea to Irrigation and Fertilizer. — Silsoe College (Cranfield Institute of Technology).
- Biochemical Identification of Important Meloidogyne Species, R.E.S. and Southampton University.—Rothamsted Experimental Station-Southampton University.
- Specific Formulation of Herbicides for Tropical Grass Control. — Imperial College of Science and Technology (Silwood Park).
- Fastidious Pathogens.—Rothamsted Experimental Station. Drought Tolerance of Barley Genotypes.—Plant Breeding Institute.
- Statistical Methods for Intercropping. — Rothamsted Experimental Station.
- Nitrate Mobility of Acid Soils of the Humid Tropics. University of Reading Department of Soils Sciences. Control of Plant Parasitic Nematodes with Pasteuria Penetrans.—University of Reading.
- Resistance of Cowpea to Striga Gesnerioides.—University College and Birbeck College, London.
- Taxonomy of South Pacific Scale Insects.—Commonwealth Institute of Entomology.
- Control of Rottboellia Exaltata with Microbial Pesticides.
- —Long Ashton Research Station.
- Resistance of Cowpea to Striga Gesnerioides and Alectra Vogelii.—Long Ashton Research Station (LARS).
- Nitrogen Fixation in Phaseolus Vulgaris. — Wye College (University of London).
- Methodology for Retrieval of Information and Assessment of Data from Past Research on Cotton in Alglophone Africa.
- —Liverpool Cotton Research Corporation. Mycorrhiza-agroforestry in Semi-Arid (50-50 AgricultureForestry).—Institute of Terrestrial Ecology.
- Genetic Improvement of Tea.—Wye College (University of London).
- Smut Infection of Millet. — Wye College (University of London).
- Land Information Management. — Commonwealth Association of Surveying and Land Economy.
- Performance and Stability of Variety Mixtures. — Plant Breeding Institute, Cambridge.
- Development of Evaluation Techniques for R & D Management in the Carribean. — Commonwealth Secretariat (Commonwealth Science Council).
- Phenotypic Variation and Cytological Delimitation in Azolla Lam.—Portsmouth Polytechnic.
- Assessment and Improvement of Cotton Fibre Quality. — International Institute for Cotton (I.I.C.)
- Population Ecology of Heliothis Armigera in Smallholder Crops, with Emphasis on its Natural Enemies.—C.A.B.I. Institute of Biological Control.
- Biological Control of Mikania Micrantha in SW Pacific Countries.—C.A.B.I Institute of Biological Control.
- Strategies for Control of S. Littoralis.— Imperial College London.
- Post Harvest Changes in Tropical Fruits. University of Nottingham.
- Nutritional Value of Cassava.—University of Nottingham. Thearubigen produced in Tea Fementations.—University of Reading.
- Fungi in Rice and Cereal Grains.—University of Oxford. Evaluation of Storage Life of Cassava.—Wye College.
- Post Harvest Losses in Maize. — Rural Investment Overseas, London.
- Distribution of Aflatoxin in Groundnut Cake. Portsmouth Polytechnic.
- Oviposition Behaviour in Adults of Heliothis.—University of London.
- Post Harvest Ripening, Bananas and Plantains. —University of Reading.
- Susceptibility of Heliothis to Insecticides. — University of Reading.
- Phytoalexon Production and its effect on Aflatoxin Production.—University College London.
- Mycotoxins of Fungi which Colonise Sorghum. University College London.
- Heliothine Pests of Millet. — British Museum (Natural History).
- Brown Planthopper-Rice.—Kings College, London.
- Brown Planthopper Outbreaks Forecasting. — Imperial College Silwood Park
- Degradability of Straw.—Wye College.
- A. niger in Stored Onions.—National Vegetable Research Association.
- Rural Rapeseed Processing.—University of Reading.
- Anthracnose caused by Colletstrichen sp. — University of Kent.
- ELISA techniques for Alternaria Mycotoxins.—Portsmouth Polytechnic.
- Aflatoxin in Spices.—Portsmouth Polytechnic.
- Pesticides on Terrestrial Invertebrates.—Wye College. Aflatoxin content of Cottonseed Products.—Wye College. Identification of Sumulium Species. — University of Southampton.
- Development of Brown Planthopper Model.—Queen Mary College London.
- Lactic Fermentation: Cassava.—University of Nottingham. Tropical Fruit Storage and Ripening. University of Nottingham.
- Evaluation of Taro and Cassava Starch. — University of Nottingham.
- Quality Storage during Storage and Processing. —University of Nottingham.
- Research into Marketing of Fruit and Vegetable in UK.—University of Reading.
- A. niger on Stored Onions (extention). — National Vegetable Research Association.
- Analysis of National Food Security requirements. — Wye College.
- Resistance to Bruchnids in P. vulgaris. — University of Durham.
- Quality evaluation of Processed Tropical Crops. — South Bank Polytechnic.
- Agricultural Marketing Systems.—Wye College.
- Genetics of Phosphine Resistance.—University of Reading. Heat Species Identification, Asian Livestock. — Food Research Institute, Bristol.
- Control of Anthracnose Infection.—University of Kent.
- Yeast Bioassay for Analysis of Mycotoxins. — Thames Polytechnic.
- Hard Setting and Crusting Behaviour of Alfisols Aberdeen University/IITA.—Aberdeen University.
- Evaluation of Mycorrhizal Inocula in Crops Growing in Semi-Arid Areas.—University of Dundee.
- Groundnut Rosette Disease. — Scottish Crop Research Institute, Dundee.
- Field Survey and Structure/Physiology Study of Tree Legume Modulation (50-50 Agriculture-Forestry). — University of Dundee.
- Whitefly—Transmitted Viruses Affecting Tropical Crops.— Scotish Crop Research Institute (Dundee).
- Impact of Pesticides in the Tropics.—University of Aberdeen.
- Palatability of pea forage.—Royal Veterinary College.
- Salt Tolerance in Wheat and Other Associated Abiotic Stresses.—University College of North Wales.
- Study of Resistance to Thermal Stress in Tropical Cereals. —Welsh Plant Breeding Station (WPBS).
- Control of Heliothis.—University College Cardiff.
- Biosystematics of Heliothis.—University College Cardiff.
- Impact of Natural Enemies of Brown Planthopper. — University College Cardiff.
- Migratory ability: Moth Pests.—University College North Wales.
- Migration of African Armyworm. — University College North Wales.