HC Deb 20 July 1987 vol 120 c67W
Mr. Raison

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services whether he requires that a private contractor burning clinical waste at a National Health Service hospital and acting under control of the hospital staff should have a licence under the Control of Pollution Act 1974.

Mrs. Currie

Health authorities are expected to establish working practices in accordance with the requirements of the Control of Pollution Act 1974. They should consider taking legal advice before entering into agreements with private contractors. The nature of these agreements will determine the need for a licence.