HC Deb 03 December 1987 vol 123 cc683-4W
52. Mr. Tom Clarke

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what representations he has received on the remedies for those affected by the illegal taking overseas of minors; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. John Patten

We receive letters from time to time from or on behalf of parents whose children have been taken abroad against their wishes. Under the Child Abduction Act 1984, it is a criminal offence for a parent to take or send a child out of the United Kingdom without the consent of the other parent. Civil remedies for the return of abducted children from abroad—for example, under the provisions of the Child Abduction and Custody Act 1985 — are a matter for my right hon. and noble Friend the Lord Chancellor.