HC Deb 07 April 1987 vol 114 c204W
Mr. Evennett

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services whether he has any plans to alter the provision of short-term respite care for the handicapped in England and Wales.

Mr. Major

We recognise the potential value to families with a handicapped member and to the handicapped person of respite or short-term care. This can be provided in the family's own home, by substitute families or in residential accommodation (often in small units in the community) run by health or local authorities or by private or voluntary organisations. It is for individual health authorities and local authorities to determine in the light of local needs and priorities the appropriate level and pattern of services within available resources. The National Institute for Social Work's working party, under the chairmanship of Lady Wagner, is currently reviewing the role of residential care (including respite care) and the range of services given in statutory and independent residential establishments and considering what changes are required to enable the residential care sector to respond more effectively to changing social needs. The working party's report is expected in early 1988.