HC Deb 02 April 1987 vol 113 c624W
Mr. McCrindle

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he is in a position to make a statement about the nature of rate assessment forms for people on income support.

Mr. Lyell

[pursuant to his reply, 20 March 1987, c.80]: People on income support will complete the same housing benefit claim form whether they wish to be assessed for entitlement to a rate rebate, rent rebate, or rent allowance. Arrangements will be made to enable those claiming income support and housing benefit simultaneously to receive and return forms together, through the local offices of this Department. The precise details of the arrangements and of the content and design of the housing benefit form are under discussion with the local authority associations. Entitlement to housing benefit in all cases will be determined by local authorities which administer the housing benefit scheme and householders on income support will qualify for maximum housing benefit. Future alignment of income-related benefits means that authorities will not need to apply the common income test because local offices of this Department will have already done so in establishing entitlement to income support.