HC Deb 07 July 1986 vol 101 c53W
Dr. Marek

asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science (1) what information he has as to how many applications were received by training institutions for speech therapy training in the latest year for which figures are available; and what are the comparable figures for each of the last five years;

(2) how many places are available for speech therapy training; what were the figures for each of the last five years; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Walden

The information sought by the hon. Member is not available. To enter the profession of speech therapist, it is necessary to become a Licentiate of the College of Speech Therapists, and for this purpose to have followed a three-four year degree course of relevant study approved for the purpose by the college. These courses, provided at institutions of higher education, are not, however, designed exclusively for intending speech therapists. The Department does not collect statistics of applications received by institutions of higher education.