HC Deb 03 July 1986 vol 100 cc597-8W
Mr. Bermingham

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment whether compensation will be paid to (a) local residents for physical and material damage suffered and (b) local businesses for damages suffered by virtue of the emission and subsequent emergency procedures, as a result of the incident on 28 June at Hays Chemicals Ltd. plant, St. Helens.

Mrs. Rumbold

Although local authorities have powers to make grants or loans in the event of an emergency, questions about compensation for damage should be addressed in the first instance to those believed to be liable and/or their insurers.