§ Mr. Mellor
The letting of contracts for the following major capital building schemes was deferred in order to keep within the cash limit on the relevant vote sub-head:
Prisons Building Schemes Albany Fire precautionary measures in woodmill Aylesbury Wing segregation Birmingham Commissioning of staff facilities Brockhill New visits and reception unit Bullwood Hall Security fence Channings Wood Additional living unit Durham Staff mess Erlestoke Further redevelopment Frankland Staff facilities and car park extension Manchester New hospital Onley Extension to visits, reception and administration units Pentonville Conversion of bathhouse to showers Risley Additional car parking Stocken Commissioning work Thorn Cross Commissioning work
Contracts for some of these schemes have now been let; the remainder will follow during the next few months.
§ Mr. Mellor
The non-urgent maintenance and improvement work delayed as a result of the measures taken to deal with the increased levels of the prison population included schemes of the following kinds:
- (a) House block renovation, and repairs to the fabric of other prison buildings, including workshops and ancillary accommodation.
- (b) Improvements to boiler houses and plant rooms and other electrical and mechanical work.
- (c) Repairs to roads and paths.
- (d) Upgrading and repair of drainage, water mains and sewage works.
- (e) Repairs to security walls and fences.
- (f) Upgrading and repair of staff facilities.
- (g) Other miscellaneous items.
All the projects that have been deferred will be undertaken at the earliest possible opportunity once funds become available.