§ Mr. Waller
asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science what commencement orders have been made, or are in prospect, for implementing the provision of the Education (No. 2) Act 1986.457W
§ Mr. Kenneth Baker
A commencement order has now been made to bring the following sections of the Act into effect:
(a) on 7 January 1987
- 17—local education authority's to state curriculum policy
- 30 and 31—governors annual report and parents' meeting
- 33—local consultations over admission arrangements 44 to 46—safeguards in the teaching of political and sexual matters
- 50—specific grants for teacher training etc.
- 51 and 52—inter-authority recoupment
- 53—school transport
- 56—reports to the Secretary of State.
(b) on 1 April 1987
- 54 and 55—change of status from controlled school to aided school.
A further commencement order is planned for April 1987 to bring remaining sections into effect as follows:
- (a) on 15 August 1987
- 47 and 48—abolition of corporal punishment in the maintained sector.
(b) on 1 September 1987
- 12—temporary governing bodies for new schools
- 20—curriculum information for parents
- 28—local education authority's reserve power in disciplinary matters
- 29—financial information and delegation to schools
- 32—reports by governing bodies and head teachers
- 43—free speech in universities, polytechnics and colleges
- 57 and 58—information, training and allowances for governors
- 61—minimum age for governors in establishments of further education
- 62—access to governing bodies' papers
andthe remaining school government provisions in Part I to III for new schools, any other schools without instruments and articles of government, and those schools for which local education authorities adopt the new arrangements in advance of the following dates for mandatory implementation of these provisions:
- (i) 1 September 1988 for county and maintained special schools; and
- (ii) 1 September 1989 for voluntary schools.
A circular will be issued very shortly setting out these arrangements and offering advice on the provisions being brought into effect on 7 January 1987. Further guidance will be offered in due course on the remaining provisions.