HC Deb 08 December 1986 vol 107 c46W
Mr. Gareth Wardell

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he has any plans to move towards a system of care of the elderly under residential home conditions without qualified nursing staff; and if he will make a statement.

Mrs. Currie

No. We continue to draw a firm distinction between the types of care provided in residential care and nursing homes. Any necessary nursing care for residents in residential care homes should be provided through the community nursing services. People who require more intensive or sustained nursing care should receive this from qualified staff employed as nurses in hospital or in an establishment registered as a nursing home.